Friday, January 29, 2010

Is God a boy or a girl?

Warning:  This post contains "religious" content.  Please don't keep reading if you are easily offended regarding this subject.

Is God a boy or a girl?  Why am I asking this question?  I am not.  However, my 7-year-old daughter is asking this question.  Ugh!  Where does she get this stuff?  And she never asks her Dad any of these kinds of questions. 

A bit of background...  We moved back to Pittsburgh about 3 years ago after a 10 year hiatus in Ohio.  While in Ohio, I belonged to a Lutheran Church and attended regularly.  Like any good self respecting Lutheran, I knew that if I did not go to church, and blindly follow, I would be condemned to Hell.  When my children came along,  they were immediately baptized to preserve their innocent souls.  I wasn't able to attend church as much, but as soon as they were old enough, I started taking them to Sunday School.  At some point, I became the Sunday School teacher for the pre-schoolers.  People that know me find that to be extremely funny!  But we had fun, and teaching Sunday School kept me involved in the church, which I enjoyed.

Then we moved.  I researched all of the Lutheran churches in the area - we weren't going to skip a beat.  I had such good intentions.  Well, you know that old saying "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions."  We have not attended church at all since the move.  Of course my Mother is not pleased about this - I am going straight to Hell and I am taking the kids with me.  In spite of the fact that we don't attend church, we talk about God and religion; we pray before bed; my daughter leads a prayer before meals, when we are actually all sitting around the table together.  Anyway to make a long story longer, God and religion are not a foreign subject in our home.

All of that being said, I was in no way prepared for my daughter to ask me if God is a boy or a girl.  This is not something that I have ever thought of before.  Lutherans do not ask these types of questions - we just follow!  How do I even answer this?  So I decided to try to lead her to her own answer.

K-Lo:  Is God a boy or a girl?

Me:  What do you think?

K-Lo:  I don't know.

Me:  Well, think all of the trees and the people and the animals.  Pretty complicated don't you think?

K-Lo:  oh yes!

Me:  You know lots of boys including Daddy and D-Ro, do you think any of them could have figured out how to make all of this stuff work?

K-Lo:  No Way!

So my very bright little girl figured it out all on her own - God must be a girl!  Ha ha!  I just love that kid!

6 comments:

Cassie said...

Hey thanks for stopping by my house:o)I had kind of wondered the same thing myself but decided that God is probably really neither. Since I don't think he probably has/needs sex organs, which determine if you are male or female. I decided he is just both mentally. I agree with you that an all male God would have led to a black leather and chrome covered world :o)and an all female good would have caused everything to be just a bit unlevel and not at grimmy :o)

Andrea said...

That is a great story! She's a bright girl!

Thanks for stopping by my blog! come back again!

JennyMac said...

What a great story! Love her bright little mind!

Sarah Beth said...

Stopping by from SITS. Happy blogging!

Noel Giger said...

Stopping by from SITS! What a cute post!

I'm also inclined to believe that God is neither male nor femal, but as we are created in His image he must be both. Have a great week!

Coryanne Ettiene said...

Good question, my 6 year old asks the same question.....great minds think alike. Thanks for stopping by housewife bliss.