Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Signs Signs Everywhere are signs....

My BFF, Emilio and I went out Friday night for some deep conversation.  He asked me if I believe in signs - as a matter of fact I do!  His question got me to thinking about signs my daughter has sent me in one way or another during her young life.

My daughter is a little pistol.  She is full of energy and she has a good time wherever she goes.  Rules seem to be mere suggestions to K-Lo.  The kicker is that she is only 7, so sometimes the signs I am being sent are a little unnerving.

We had a wonderful babysitter for our kids when I went back to work.  She is our-Martha!  We love her!  she is absolutely the kindest, most wonderful lady, and she treated our children as her own.  K-Lo was the flower girl in our-Martha's sons wedding.  She is so dear to us.  But I think K-Lo was really going to be the one to put her over the edge.  K-Lo spent time in timeout at our-Martha's every single day.  In 5 years, I think D-Lo was in timeout less than 5 times.  But for K-Lo, it was every single day.  At one point, she finally learned to stop talking back, and just started rolling her eyes at our-Martha.  Incidentally I have no idea where she gets that eye-rolling thing ;-)  Eye-rolling had to become a time-out offense.  Can you imagine having a 2 year old roll her eyes at you?

K-Lo was a bit of a climber, not as bad as some stories I have heard, but she did like to crawl up on chairs by herself.  Imagine my surprise when she is at my out-laws and I get there to see her up on the picnic table dancing around the umbrella pole.  Hmmmm - what is this sign telling me??

At 3 years old, we already had to explain to her about a penis and a vagina.  She has a brother who is 16 months older - clearly their bodies are different, and she noticed right away.  So we explained at a very high level that boys have a penis and girls have a vagina.  We also told her that she really should not talk about penes (I bet you didn't know the plural word for penis!) and vaginae - this is a private subject ,and we shouldn't throw those words around.   After that whenever she would get really mad, and she didn't think we could hear her, she would whisper "Penis-Vagina".  This was her little 3-year old version of swearing.  Nice!  It took awhile to break her of that!  What is this telling me??

On another occasion when she was three,  she and her 4 year brother and 4 year old cousin Zack were playing.  Zack was staying over that night, and the 3 of them were having such a wonderful time.  The Enginerd told them it was time to get their jammies on, and before we could get in there to supervise, there stood Zack naked from the waist down.  Our sweet daughter looked at him and said, "Zack - why is your penis so small?"  Poor Zack!  Poor Zack's Dad!  I am hoping this is not a foreshadowing.

On her first day of kindergarten, I sent this adorable little girl to school with cute little braids in her hair.  She looked so angelic with her blond hair and blue eyes.  I was a little worried that she would have some separation anxiety.  When she came home, I asked her about school, and she said everything went well.  I asked if she missed me, and she said that she didn't.  I asked how all of the other kids did on their first day, and she said, "Everyone was crying for their stupid mommies!"  Wow - she is heartless!

At 6 years old, she knows that swearing is not allowed even though I swear like a sailor and make no apology for it.  So one evening at soccer practice, she is having a really bad night.  She is hungry, grouchy, and sweaty, and she really has no tolerance for anything or anybody around her.  I am trying to talk her down and just keep her level until I can get her home and slip her some Benadryl feed her.  She looked at me and said, "Mom - I just want to swear right now!".  Me too!

The Enginerd and I have discussed our darling daughter - what to do with her - that sharp tongue, the need to speak before considering the consequences, her raging temper.  I have already warned all of her friends moms - oh she's cute now, and they need to remember that when the girls are all teenagers and we are bailing them all out of jail because they listened to K-Lo!

In all seriousness, K-Lo has the self confidence I didn't develop until I went to college.  She's is so bright and funny and she can talk to anyone.  I hope she keeps all of those traits through her teen years and into adulthood. 

6 comments:

Shell said...

Hey there- just popping by to let you know that I left something for you on my blog. :)

Ms. Diva said...

I have two of those adorable kind of girls. One is now a mom herself and the other is 14!! I didn't think I would live through the first one getting to 18 and I pretty sure the second one is worse!! Yea, I wanted them to be full of self confidence and speak their minds, etc., but not until they moved out!!! :)

Gail said...

OK, how did you give your kid confidence? My husband and I want our daughter to be confident, but she sure as hell won't be learning it from me! :)
I love those stories...made me laugh out loud.

Law Momma said...

Oh what a fabulous handful!!!! I love her and I don't even know her. :)

"And so our stories go..." said...

I love the title of your blog. And your stories are so cute. I'm married to a math man too...oy, vay.
:-)
Mary

hotpants™ said...

I have a feeling my daughter could be headed down the same path and she's only 15 months old. Pretty bad, huh?