Monday, February 22, 2010

Update on meeting with the VP

Well, I met with my Engineering VP today about the Senior Managers position.  He did urge me to apply after he informed me that I "freak out" all the time, and we would need to work on that.  Of course, I told him that based on his other direct reports, it appeared as if he encouraged "freaking out."   That went over well.

Anyhoo,  the job is going to suck royally!  Seriously, I am afraid I would HATE it!  It is all process related.  Meaning, he wants someone to define our processes and compile data, and prepare status reports.  YUCK!  He seemed very surprised that I was hesitating to apply.  He also told me they had already interviewed an external candidate who was just "too obnoxious."  WOW!  I am feeling really encouraged about how they are screening candidates!  I ended the conversation by telling him that if I were to apply, one of the main reasons would be because I am really REALLY concerned about him hiring a moron.  (I didn't actually say moron...  wait a second, maybe I did.)

As Emilio pointed out to me, now I MUST apply.  Because if I don't, it will appear as if I have no career aspirations.  But honestly, I really have no career aspirations, especially if I am not going to be able to freak out at work anymore!  I am now actively trying to get one of the other project managers to apply for this job.  I would work for either of them, and one of them would be perfect for this position!

So I will keep all of you posted.  I will probably submit my resume.  I will have to go through a whole series of interviews with people I work with every day.  It should be very entertaining.

8 comments:

LPTrainerMom said...

stopped by from SITS because I love the name of your blog!! Can't wait to read more!

Housewife Bliss said...

oh dear, lets hope there is plenty of humour waiting for you.

Housewife Bliss said...

by the way, have put you on my blog roll, hope it sends a few more people your way.

Ms. Diva said...

Whats the point of work if not to freak out?

Law Momma said...

I am with you. I have zero career aspirations. I kind of wish I could go backwards in my career and be a paralegal rather than an attorney. But something tells me that would be frowned upon.

Good luck not getting the promotion? :)

Barry and Barbara Knister said...

I am always intrigued by job descriptions that include concepts like "process-related." Exactly what human endeavors aren't related in some way to one or more processes? I have to assume you are a fan of Scott Adams' Dilbert. As a college teacher, retired now, I remember many committee meetings that included certain--by no means all--faculty from the College of Management. When they spoke, say, on process management, the rest of us, to a man and woman, soon developed the thousand-mile stare that precedes petit-mal seizures.
If you care to take a break from purposeful activity, you might enjoy visiting http://drinksbeforedinner.com

Pamela said...

I freak out everyday at work. It's a prerequisite of coming here. To me anyway.

www.thehusaileybunch.com said...

Hey there..just stopping by for a late visit from Connect Meme Monday! Hope your week is going well...

I'm your newest follower and am gonna spend a ittle time lookin around! Hope to see you soon...

www.thehusaileybunch.com