Thursday, March 4, 2010

Tell Us About Your Trip

I have decided to participate in Mama Kat's Writers Workshop today, and the prompt I am tackling is:  "Tell Us About Your Trip."



Mama's Losin' It


The trip I am going to tell you about is our trip to Disney World 3 years ago.  Satan and Lucifer were 5 and 4 years old respectively.  Ah - Disney World - what a wonderful magical place, right??  WRONG!  We will NEVER EVER go back!  It was the most miserable week of our lives!  Take that Mickey!

The really funny thing about Disney World is that we saw very few happy faces there.  We did see a lot of exasperated parents, screaming babies, and whining children (including our own).  And the Enginerd and I looked at each other many times during our trip and asked how this organization keeps up the facade that this is the most wonderful place on earth??

My kids wanted to see Lizzie McGuire and the gang from High School Musical and Phil of the Future - well those characters really aren't represented at Disney.  We did do the whole Princess picture thing, and my daughter enjoyed that (that was one bright spot in our day at the Magic Kingdom).  3 rides broke down while we were there - 2 of those rides broke down while we were on them, and Space Mountain broke down just before we were ready to get on it - they evacuated Space Mountain, and we didn't go back to try and ride later.  My kids wanted to leave Magic Kingdom and go back to the hotel and swim at the pool.  But the Enginerd and I were determined that we were going to have a good time at Disney DAMMIT!

We did Animal Kingdom and MGM while we were there, and we won't go back to either of those parks either.  The kids tolerated Animal Kingdom pretty well.  But I can take them to the Pittsburgh Zoo and they would be just as happy.  Actually they LOVE the Pittsburgh Zoo, so they would probably be happier there than at Animal Kingdom.

In retrospect, we don't know if they were just too young or we tried to cram in too many activities...  We have been to Orlando since this trip, but we didn't go back to Disney - my son NEVER wants to go back. 

I know there are a lot of Disney lovers out there and that what I am saying is considered sacrilege to many.    Am I the only one with enough testicular fortitude to admit that we hated Disney World??

10 comments:

Ms. Diva said...

Every time Honey and go to Disneyland by ourselves we have the greatest time!! I have never been to Disney World. Disneyland is not fun with little kids!! With teenagers it's fun because we only see them every few hours!! :)

Jeanette said...

I hear that you have to have been a Disney kid to like it as an adult. Everyone I know who didn't go as a kid HATES it. I love it because I go back to that childhood magic every time I go there (Disneyland that is. Never been to Disney world. Maybe it's not as good)

Rebekah said...

I think Disney requires amounts of patience that are unrealistic for small kids. If they could go Suri-Cruise-style and get VIP treatment, it would be way more fun. But for ordinary people? Maybe not so much.

Law Momma said...

I've never taken kids... now I'm a little scared to! :)

Michael and Shelley said...

I went to Disney World once as a kid with my family and I remember it being fun except for some Alien Encounters ride that scared the living bejeeebies out of me. Disneyland is fun when you go on an off season day and the lines are quick. It's also a lot easier to handle that size of a park.

Christy said...

I'm sorry you had a crappy time. I haven't taken kids, but I want to one day, lol. I'll include the alcohol, haha. Following you from Ms. Diva's!

Kristi said...

Sounds like a vacation from hell! You are a better woman than me for sticking it out and trying to make the best of it. The things that mothers do!
This was a great post. And by the way, I love your layout. You did a great job with the design. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting on my Writers Workshop post. Have a great day.

Kristi, Live and Love...Out Loud
@TweetingMama

I'm NOT a VOLCANO! said...

Awww. I'm so sad you had a bad time. I took my then 2 and1 year old to Disney World about 2 years ago, and it was the best trip we'd ever had. We saw all the princesses and went on every ride they were big enough for. The lines weren't too bad either. Sorry your trip sucked! Maybe you can try again!

Unknown Mami said...

The thing is that "The Unhappiest Place on Earth" just doesn't have the same ring. Ya know?

Terry said...

I think you have to be a young couple to enjoy Disney....I went with my father and my 7 year old one year and it was disasterous!! I was the ONLY one that insisted we stay so I could meet the famous mouse!! My daughter only wanted to swim at the hotel....My Dad didn't want too stand in any lines...the next time I go I will go with only my spouse!!