Thursday, April 1, 2010

The chaos I create...

I mentioned to all of you last week that I sent my resume to a friend at another company.  Well I had an initial phone screen and a phone interview this week, and the hiring manager would like me to come in next week for an on site interview and to meet the team.

What is wrong with me??  Why can't I leave well enough alone??  I am not unhappy at the Asylum.  I am in a rut, but I am not completely unhappy?

But my competitive nature kicks in as soon as I start interviewing...  I don't put on any kind of show or misrepresent myself.  In fact, I am brutally honest!  I use interviewing as a time to screen the hiring manager and the rest of the team to make sure they are up to the task of handling me because I know I can be a handful.  I have HR violation tattooed on my forehead!  Seriously, I have been known to be offensive, loud, aggressive...  I could go on and on.  But in spite of all of that, I am passionate about my job and my projects, and I think that really does show.

So, what to do.  Obviously I haven't been offered the job, and maybe I won't be, which will actually make things alot easier for me!  But I am going to weigh the pros and cons of the Asylum versus the new company:

Why to stay at the Asylum:
- Good working environment
- 15 minutes from home
- great benefits

Why not to stay at the asylum:
- no confidence in upper management
- no opportunity to advance
- concern for the future of the company

Why to go to the new company:
- new challenge
- great place to work (according to everyone I know there)
- potential to lead larger projects / room to advance

Why not to go to the new company:
- 45 minute commute - less time with my family (ok that might not be bad!)
- odd hours due to dispersed teams around the world
- satellite office - concern for stability in a downturn

To top it all off, my BFF Emilio is at the Asylum.  There is no doubt in my mind that Emilio could be hired at the new company - they have talked to him in the past, but he has been resistant to the longer commute as I am.  What to do - what to do??

I am going on the interview next week.  I will let all of you know how that goes. 

In the meantime, I am heading over to Law Momma's site, Spilled Milk and entering her resume makeover contest.  I wasn't going to enter it, but in light of the recent events, maybe I should.

I swear I am not happy unless my life is chaotic all the time!

8 comments:

Terry said...

Good luck on the interview...or not! Which would you like? :) I think you will know the right choice to make when the time comes...HR violator!!

Law Momma said...

I love the shout out! Sweet! :) And I agree with Terry, you'll know the right decision when it's time to make it. Maybe it'll be salary related, maybe it'll just be familiarity, but you'll know. I'll send good thoughts! :)

Ms. Diva said...

Break a leg at your interview! I've got seven years to figure out what I want to be when I grow up!! lol!

Gail said...

I have a friend who was in the same situation as you...she got offered the job and everything. And then she told her boss. Let's just say a big fat raise was her reward, and she stayed with her 10 minute commute, as opposed to a 45 minute commute. Good luck!!

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

Longer commute, more travel. Doesn't sound ideal. Those are deal breakers. Although being happier at the job is sooo important. It's a tough call. Good Luck. The whole greener grass thing is always such a crapshoot isn't it?

LPTrainerMom said...

Best of luck to you-whichever way the tower tips! Have faith in yourself that you will make the right decision for YOU.

Mrsblogalot said...

You are funny! I love that you are stirring the pot in your mind. The stimulation is good for the brain!!

Do what feels right and then run with it! I loves me a good HR violation girl! Good luck with it!!!

Melissa said...

Hello, I am new to blogging, but I have started a blogging site, with will be featuring lots of giveaways within the next week! Most companies I am trying to get to sponsor a giveaway, would like there to be more followers on my blog first. So I am trying to build up my followers before I e-mail them back. The first giveaway is going to be from www.AVON.com, www.twinkletoessoap.com, www.thefizzcup.com, www.mylipstuff.com
My blog is at:
snickersncream.blogspot.com/

Thank You!!